One time when I was a little girl, I had to bake a treat for a bake sale fundraiser. Being that I was a bit quirky and strange, I decided to make “Cupcakes on a Stick”. First, my mother and I made a couple dozen mini angel food cupcakes (without the wrapper), then we pushed a wooden skewer into the bottom of each one until they stuck out of the top of the cupcake just a little bit. We frosted them, then stuck a gumdrop onto the top of the skewer for a little added decoration. To display them, we wrapped a block of florists foam in wrapping paper and stuck the skewers into the block. The cupcakes were a big hit! Ever since my first cupcake baking experience, I have had a passion for cupcakes. I absolutely love them. Every time I see one, I get all excited as if it were a puppy. I just can’t get enough of these little treats. Even the word “cupcake” is perfect!
Because everyone else seems to love cupcakes as much as I do… well, maybe not that much… but because EVERYONE seems to love the look and nostalgic qualities of cupcakes, I have decided to dedicate this entire post to my favorite little pastry!
Cupcakes are a huge trend in weddings right now for a number of different reasons:
- You can offer an unlimited number of cake and frosting flavors (unlike a cake, which you can only have one or two flavors at the most)
- There are numerous presentation options (a big cupcake tower, a number of different sized platters, etc.)
- They are fun and different
- You can dress them up for an elegant wedding or make them simple and casual.
- It is easier to distribute cupcakes to the guests. No cutting necessary!
- They are the perfect serving size
- You can decorate them to fit any occassion.
- Cupcakes are cheaper than a large wedding cake.
- Cupcakes are easy to make yourself, and fun to decorate.
- Of course, they are super cute.
If you would like to learn more about the history of cupcakes before reading more, I highly recommend you watch this video of Alton Brown on Good Eats: Honey, I Shrunk the Cake (1/2)
If you decide to have cupcakes at your wedding, here are some things to consider:
- Will you have a small cake at the top for the traditional cake cutting and to save for your first anniversary?
- The size and shape of your cupcakes, or will you have a combination?
- Will you have more than one flavor?
- According to Cupcakes Take The Cake, You will want about 1.25 cupcakes per guest. Some may only have one, but some may want to try each flavor.
- How will the cupcakes be decorated?
- Will you present the cupcakes on a tower so they look like a wedding cake?
- Will you be offering more than just cupcakes for desert?
Here are some great examples of wedding cupcake displays (click on the images for more information about the sources).